Western Montana Chapter of the National Association of Residential Property Managers (NARPM)
The current rental market for the Missoula area for houses is as follows:
The current rental market for the Missoula area for apartments is as follows:
• Landlords will hold your security deposit 10 – 30 days after you have moved out, which means that you will not be able to use that deposit for your new property.
• Expect to pay over 1 months rent for your security deposit.
• Pay your rent on time or early. Get in the habit of paying it on time the 1st few months and then it will be easy. Late fees can add up to hundreds of dollars.
• If you go away for the holidays make sure you arrange payment of rent while you are gone to avoid fines. If you are going to be gone from the residence let you landlord know.
• When you go away during winter months, make sure you do not turn off the heat or your pipes will freeze. Let your landlord know if you will be gone.
• Be aware of what items you are responsible for repairing or replacing. Items such as light bulbs, furnace filters, and smoke detector batteries are usually at tenant’s cost.
• Law requires that you give a written 30 day notice, even if it is at the end of your lease. This notice should include a forwarding address and be signed by every resident.
• Be prepared to have your credit checked as part of the application process. Most property management companies require that the tenants have good credit.
• Many property management companies now require their tenants to get renters insurance. This insurance protects you and your belongings.